Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June 26, 2012: Page 2 Solo on "Hackensack" + Short Review of "Midnight Marauders"

June 26, 2012

Page 2 of Jimmy Smith Solo on "Hackensack"

Sorry all for my absence the past two days. I took a short trip to Jersey where I did not have access to a tuned piano, so no transcription for two days. I have done a little more work on the Jimmy Smith transcription, finishing one page and halfway into the second one. This part of the solo gets a little chromatic so pace has slowed a little, seeing where he is trying to go, but pushing through. 


In terms of other interesting musical things going on, my group, "the Space Monkeys", have decided as a group to stop writing songs for the moment due to the high number of compositions we need to perfect and get tight to this point. Things are going well if we have too many songs to learn, I guess.

In terms of listening, I bought the album, "Midnight Marauders" by Tribe Called Quest a few days ago and have been listening it frequently. I was introduced to the album awhile back by one Dan "D.J." Fellman who at almost every party will at some point blast the song below. 


Steve Bilko (Stir It Up)


What really caught my eye about the album was that Tribe sample Freddie Hubbard's song, "Red Clay", in the baseline of one of their tracks. The album, in general, is that old school, east coast rap and has some cool horn samples going on throughout. In comparison to other rappers today, like Drake who raps about in almost every song how he is famous now and he doesn't know anybody at the party he is at because he is famous now, there is some real insight and thoughtfulness in a lot of the tracks on this album. 

Compare

       Red Clay (at around 1:09)     

 
                Sucka Nigga

I will probably finish this chorus by Jimmy Smith and then take some time working on the solo. I'll start another transcription TBD tomorrow. 




No comments:

Post a Comment