Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21, 2012: J.A.T.P. Blues and Hackensack

"J.A.T.P. Blues" by Charlie Parker
&
"Hackensack" with Jimmy Smith 

First up is the track "J.A.T.P. Blues" by Charlie Parker. I only transcribed the first 8 bars because it is Oscar Peterson and anyone who has listened to any Oscar Peterson knows that 8 bars is all it takes for him to fill up a lot of space. I couldn't find a good recording online anywhere, but I got the track out of one of those huge box sets. This track is an alternate to the other take of J.A.T.P. blues which is taken at a slower tempo.



The other track is "Hackensack" by Jimmy Smith. The original tune is written by Thelonious Monk, featured below. 


"Hackensack" by the Thelonious Monk Quartet off the album "Crisscross"

This track is off the albums "Retrospective", which is a best of album, and originally off the album "Softly as a Morning Breeze". I could not find another version of this track on the interwebs so that you all could get a chance to listen through here. So far, I have written out the melody and chords of the song, which the guitar player, Kenny Burrell, plays while Smith comps. 

The reason I selected these two songs to transcribe are because I have not to this point transcribed any organ, although I have been using organ sounds in performances for a little while now. I figure if I am transcribing anybody I should get the great Jimmy Smith. For those who haven't heard him, here is a track rightly titled "The Champ".



"The Champ" by Jimmy Smith off "A New Sound A New Star Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 2"



My reason for the Oscar Peterson recording is to work on fast introductions and increase my blues language which Oscar is well versed in. 

Tomorrow, I will be beginning the organ solo which is as about as hot as it was today here in Boston at 95 degrees. Enjoy all!

No comments:

Post a Comment